The Edison Club, a highly popular country club which gets a lot of play from area golfers, is located on Riverview Road in Rexford. It was once located on State and Lafayette Streets in downtown Schenectady. The club was conceived in 1903 by the General Electric Company employees who were interested in a place to meet socially. In 1907, land was purchased on Washington Avenue with frontage on the Mohawk River. Facilities included a boathouse for canoes, lockers, a boat repair shop, and buildings for bowling, dancing, a gymnasium, and a library. The Edison Club moved to its present site in 1925.