The Edison Club on Riverview Road in Rexford has always attracted many Schenectady County golfers and families who have become club members. The idea of the Edison Club was conceived in 1903 by the General Electric Company employees, who were interested in a place to meet socially. It was officially chartered in 1904. The first clubhouse was located in downtown Schenectady on State and Lafayette Streets. In 1907, land was purchased on Washington Avenue with frontage on the Mohawk River. Facilities included a boathouse for canoes, lockers, a boat repair shop, and buildings for bowling, dancing, a gymnasium, and library. An agreement was reached in 1925 between GE and he Edison Club for the property on Washington Avenue to be turned over to the present country club overlooking the Mohawk Valley. The first facilities included an 18-hole golf course, tennis courts, a clubhouse later called the Annex, and a combination recreational area and locker house. The building originally was a farmhouse which was later demolished. In 1948, a new wing was added and other renovations were made to the locker house for adequate bar and dining facilities, and a ballroom for banquets. A swimming pool, bathhouse and snack bar were added in 1957. Over time, the club has made major improvements. Among them were renovations to the men’s locker room, a new women’s lounge and locker room, an enclosed dining porch, pro shop, canopied deck, new club offices, and an automatic watering system for the golf course. It became a private membership club in 1969, and it is located on 300 acres of land. As well as the golf course, the Edison Club has clay tennis courts, an Olympic-size pool, and facilities for formal or casual dining. Conference meeting rooms are available, and they have special social events throughout the year.